Tom DeLonge Leaves Blink-182 ‘Indefinitely’

"No hard feelings, but the show must go on for our fans."

By Radio.com Staff

Update 2: Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker have spoken to Rolling Stone concerning the news that Tom DeLonge is out of blink-182 “indefinitely,” sharing their own side of the story about the day’s events and what led to them.

According to Hoppus, the news came as a “weight lifting off my shoulders. Finally, people know what the deal is with our band.”

In the interview, Hoppus and Barker speak candidly about DeLonge, calling him “disingenuous” and that they had planned to record a new album, only for DeLonge to back out last minute, emails sent from DeLonge’s camp using wording such as “Tom. Is. Out.”

~

Update: Contrary to the release from Blink 182’s publicist, Tom DeLonge says in a post on Instagram, “I never quit the band.”

In a statement from his publicist, DeLonge reiterated the Instagram photo’s contents.  “I never quit the band,” he said. “Actually, I was on the phone discussing a possible Blink-182 event in New York City when I heard the ‘news.’ The ONLY truth here is that I have commitments that limit my availability this year. I love Blink-182 and I’m not leaving.”

The news comes after previous reports that DeLonge’s tenure with the band would take a hit of inactivity following a release from band members Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker, who said that they “got an email from his manager explaining that he didn’t want to participate in any Blink-182 projects indefinitely, but would rather work on his other non-musical endeavors.” The release was sent to Radio.com this morning.

~

Tom DeLonge, co-founder of Blink-182, is taking a break from the band.

In a statement to Radio.com released this morning from the band’s publicist, Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker explain the show must go on.

“We were all set to play this festival and record a new album and Tom kept putting it off without reason,” they wrote. “A week before we were scheduled to go in to the studio we got an email from his manager explaining that he didn’t want to participate in any Blink-182 projects indefinitely, but would rather work on his other non-musical endeavors.”

There are “no hard feelings,” they added, “but the show must go on for our fans.”

Related: Q&A: Angels & Airwaves’ Tom DeLonge Gets Personal on the Ambitious ‘Dream Walker’ Project

The news comes on the heels of this morning’s Musink announcement, where it was revealed that Alkaline Trio‘s Matt Skiba would be filling in for DeLonge. Skiba does not appear to be a permanent replacement for DeLonge.

The festival has become an important one to Barker. This is the second year that the drummer will curate the bands. Among this year’s performers are Bad Religion, Rancid, Yelawolf, OFF!, Sick of It All and Ignite. The three-day fest takes place March 20-22 at the OC Fair & Events Center in Costa Mesa, Calif., with tickets going on sale this Friday at 10 a.m. PT.

DeLonge helped start blink-182 with Hoppus and original drummer Scott Raynor in 1992. The band’s first album, Cheshire Cat, came in 1995, followed by 1997’s Dude Ranch.

The band’s last album, Neighborhoods, came in 2011. DeLonge has been busy since with his project Angels & Airwaves, including The Dream Walker last year.

 

Comments

More From Radio.com

5 Best Revenge Pop Songs
Your Mission: Win A VIP Trip To NY
5 Pop/Country Duets We'd Love to Hear

Listen Live