By Ezra Marcus
Taylor Swift is watching you.
The world-conquering “Shake It Off” singer recently posted a photo of herself wearing a yellow T-shirt emblazoned with the words “no its becky” during a personal takeover of her Tumblr page, which is usually run by her managers.
The words’ significance? They are the punchline of an obscure joke that’s been circulating around the micro-blogging platform for years, racking up thousands of notes.
Originally a user posted a photo of Swift captioned: “This is a picture of my friend Becky. She used to be a happy, popular girl until one night she snorted marijuana at a party. She died instantly. Please, don’t do marijuana. It’s the most dangerous drug out there. Please don’t wind up like Becky.”
When another user claimed the photo was Swift, the original poster shut her down: “no its becky.”
Now, Swift is proving she’s hip with the Tumblr lingo by wearing a shirt referencing the classic moment in Internet history.
This isn’t the first time Swift has shown herself to be an avid social media fiend. Though never confirmed, rumors swirled last year that she was secretly posting on 4Chan. Those rumors now look even more likely.
Taylor Swift: Big Brother of the pop charts.
Read more on Radio.com
- Jon Bellion on J. Dilla’s Influence and Being a ‘Very Sensitive Cat’
- Shawn Mendes Pokes Fun of Jimmy Fallon on ‘The Tonight Show’
- Adele on Quitting Smoking: ‘I’m Convinced That’s Made my Voice Weaker’
- Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas were Stuck in an Elevator Together
- Listen to Oasis’ ‘Going Nowhere’ Demo From the ‘Be Here Now’ Reissue