By Brian Ives
In 2008, Steve Winwood did a summer tour opening for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and jammed with them frequently; he’d often join them for a two song set, performing his first big U.S. hit (the Spencer Davis Group’s “Gimme Some Lovin'” from 1966) and Blind Faith’s signature tune, “Can’t Find My Way Back Home” (from 1969).
This summer, when Winwood was announced as the opener on Petty’s U.S. tour, audiences expected more of the same. But, for some reason, it didn’t happen for the longest time.
That is, until last night, a month and a half into the tour.
Once again, they performed “Gimme Some Lovin'” and “Can’t Find My Way Back Home.” Watch the performances below.
Winwood hinted that he might join the Heartbreakers on stage via his Twitter account earlier in the day.
Petty, meanwhile, posted a photo of Winwood, Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and Tom himself to Instagram.
The tour continues tonight (September 16) in Allendale, Pa.
More news on Radio.com
- Foreigner’s Original Lineup Mulling Possible Reunion
- Ted Nugent Blasts David Crosby Over Rock Hall Insult
- Elvis Presley Fans Now Have to Pay to Visit the Singer’s Grave
- Watch Van Morrison Perform New Song ‘Transformation’
- David Crosby Says Ted Nugent ‘Not Good Enough’ for Rock Hall