‘Weird Al’ Yankovic Spoofs Theme Songs of ‘Mad Men,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ at Emmys: Watch
By Shannon Carlin
And the award for Outstanding Lyrics to an Instrumental Theme Song goes to… “Weird Al” Yankovic.
Weird Al took the stage at last night’s 66th Primetime Emmy Awards, which celebrated the best television has to offer, by having a little fun with some of the show’s rather unfunny theme songs.
In the segment, the Mandatory Fun singer added his own spin to the opening theme of Mad Men, singing “Jon Hamm’s never won an Emmy/Oh, who cares, he’s still Jon-freaking-Hamm.” Throw to a shot of Hamm agreeing, yes, he is in fact Jon-freaking-Hamm.
He then revamped the themes to Modern Family, Scandal and Homeland singing “Inigo Montoya grew a beard!”
The best moment though had to be his take on the Game of Thrones theme song. Though he did not dedicate the nearly two-minute long theme to Peter Dinklage (that’s already been done) he did draw attention to GoT’s staples: dragons and boobs.
“Here come dragons galore/And some boobs,” he sang. “OK, to be fair, there’s way more boobs.”
He then George RR Martin, the man behind A Song of Ice and Fire series, which is the inspiration for the HBO show, to get writing and quick to finish the last books. Even delivering a typewriter right to his seat so he could work during the show. Martin played along, typing on the archaic looking machine.
“Type, George, type as fast as you can,” Al sang.
Unfortunately, Game of Thrones, the most nominated show of the night, didn’t take home any awards. Breaking Bad however took home six awards, including Outstanding Drama Series and Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama for Bryan Cranston.
Check out the full list of Emmy winners here.
Read more about “Weird Al” Yankovic
- George Harrison Honored by Brian Wilson, Conan O’Brien, Weird Al Yankovic, More at L.A. Concert: Watch
- ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic Spoofs Theme Songs of ‘Mad Men,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ at Emmys: Watch
- Watch Musicians Take on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Taylor Swift, Drake, Justin Bieber & More
- Musicians + Sports: Weird Al Yankovic on His Chances of Performing at the Super Bowl
- Fans Demand Weird Al Yankovic Headline Super Bowl Halftime in New Petition