Woman Who Accused Conor Oberst of Rape Recants Allegations, Publicly Apologizes
By Kevin Rutherford
A woman who accused Conor Oberst of sexually assaulting her when she was 16 has officially recanted her accusation in a public apology.
Joan Harris, known as Joanie Faircloth in the multiple stories covering the accusations, notified Oberst’s lawyers today (July 14) after months of silence, apologizing for comments she made in the comments section of xoJane claiming that the Bright Eyes frontman had raped her when she was 16 years old at a concert in Durham, N.C., according to the singer’s publicist in an email to Radio.com.
“The statements I made and repeated online and elsewhere over the past six months accusing Conor Oberst of raping me are 100% false,” Faircloth said in a statement. “I made up those lies about him to get attention while I was going through a difficult period in my life and trying to cope with my son’s illness. I publicly retract my statements about Conor Oberst, and sincerely apologize to him, his family, and his fans for writing such awful things about him. I realize that my actions were wrong and could undermine the claims of actual sexual assault victims and for that I also apologize. I’m truly sorry for all the pain that I caused.”
Once the comments were made public, Oberst filed a libel suit in February, claiming the accusations were false.
Last week, TMZ posted a story claiming Oberst said he had been dropped from his record label and had lost out on record sales due to the allegations. However, Oberst’s publicist confirmed to Radio.com he had not been dropped from his label, Nonesuch.