By Kurt Wolff
This month, Willie Nelson is set to release a new studio album, Band of Brothers, which consists of mostly new, original songs penned by the country legend himself (see the track list below). Today (June 6), a stream of one of the new songs premiered on Parade.
“The Git Go” was penned by Shaver and Gary Nicholson, and it also is set to appear on Shaver’s upcoming new album Long in the Tooth, which will hit stores in August. And it isn’t even the only Shaver song that’s appearing on both Long in the Tooth and Nelson’s Band of Brothers. Both albums also feature the gritty and fun “Hard to Be an Outlaw.”
Opening on a laid-back groove laced with guitar and harmonica, “The Git Go” sees Nelson and his duet partners illustrating the way the world turns—for better or, in many cases, worse—when it comes to things like political and social favoritism. “Politicians keep making fools out of you and me,” Johnson sings at one point. But then again, “it’s been that way since the git go,” the three artists echo on the song’s chorus.
Nelson also posted a video on his website that mixes clips from the album with an interview, where he talks about the inspiration behind Band of Brothers and some of the songs.
Band of Brothers track list:
01. Bring It On (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
02. Guitar in the Corner (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
03. The Wall (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
04. Whenever You Come Around (Vince Gill/Pete Wasner)
05. Wives and Girlfriends (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
06. I Thought I Left You (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
07. Send Me a Picture (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
08. Used to Her (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
09. The Git Go (Billy Joe Shaver/Gary Nicholson)
10. Band of Brothers (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)
11. Hard to Be an Outlaw (Billy Joe Shaver)
12. Crazy Like Me (Dennis Morgan/Shawn Camp/Billy Burnette)
13. The Songwriters (Gordie Sampson/Bill Anderson)
14. I’ve Got a Lot of Traveling to Do (Willie Nelson/Buddy Cannon)