Gregg Allman Drops Lawsuit Against ‘Midnight Rider’ Producers
By Brian Ives
Earlier this month, Gregg Allman filed a lawsuit against the producers of Midnight Rider, the biopic based on his memoir, My Cross To Bear. Now, The Hollywood Reporter reports that Allman has dropped his suit.
Last month, Allman urged Midnight Rider director Randall Miller to shut down production on the film following a February 20 on-set accident that resulted in the death of assistant camera operator Sarah Jones and injured a few others. In a letter to Miller, Allman said, “I am writing to you as one human being to another, and appealing to you from my heart. I am asking you from a personal perspective not to go forward,” adding, “Your desires as a filmmaker should not outweigh your obligations as a human being. I am asking you to do the right thing and to set aside your attempts to resume the production out of respect for Sarah, her family and the loss that all of us feel so deeply.”
William Hurt clearly felt the same way: he was playing the role of the adult Allman (most of the film portrays Allman as a young man), but he dropped out of the film in the wake of the accident.
Allman soon filed his suit, which alleged that Unclaimed Freight Productions no longer had the rights to his story. When the production company picked up an option on his life story in March 2013, it was with two conditions: one of which was that principal photography had to commence by a certain date. After an amendment, that was set for Feb. 28, 2014, so their rights have expired.
The Hollywood Reporter said yesterday that Allman has agreed to drop the lawsuit. However, attorneys on both sides declined to comment afterward on terms of the deal, and it wasn’t immediately known if the film project would move forward.