By Brian Ives
Jackson Browne’s music has gone in and out of fashion in recent years, but one thing that hasn’t changed is the amount of respect he gets from fellow artists. That’s evident in the list of artists who are contributing to Looking Into You: A Tribute To Jackson Browne. And in the volume of artists, as it will be a double disc set.
Some of Browne’s peers (Bruce Springsteen, Bonnie Raitt and Don Henley) contribute to the album, as do “younger” artists (Ben Harper, the Indigo Girls, Joan Osborne, Sara Watkins of Nickel Creek).
Springsteen’s contribution, billed as collaboration with his wife/bandmate Patti Scialfa, is “Linda Paloma.” The song was originally from Browne’s 1976 album The Pretender, and was, incidentally, produced by Springsteen’s longtime manager, Jon Landau.
Henley is an artist with some shared history with Browne; the two co-wrote the Eagles hit “Doolin-Dalton” together, along with Eagle Glenn Frey, and songwriter J.D. Souther, who also is featured here. Henley’s track, which sees him backed by indie-folk band Blind Pilot, is “These Days,” a song that Browne wrote for one-time Velvet Underground singer Nico, and which she recorded six years before Browne’s debut album. (Gregg Allman also previously recorded “These Days,” for his 1973 solo debut Laid Back.)
Looking Into You: A Tribute To Jackson Browne will be available April 1; full tracklist below.
1. These Days – Don Henley w/ Blind Pilot
2. Everywhere I Go – Bonnie Raitt and David Lindley
3. Running On Empty – Bob Schneider
4. Fountain Of Sorrow – Indigo Girls
5. Doctor My Eyes – Paul Thorn
6. For Everyman – Jimmy LaFave
7. Barricades Of Heaven – Griffin House
8. Our Lady Of The Well – Lyle Lovett
9. Jamaica Say You Will – Ben Harper
10. Before The Deluge – Eliza Gilkyson
11. For A Dancer – Venice
12. Looking Into You – Kevin Welch
1. Rock Me On The Water – Keb’ Mo’
2. The Pretender – Lucinda Williams
3. Rosie – Lyle Lovett
4. Something Fine – Karla Bonoff
5. Too Many Angels – Marc Cohn feat. Joan As Police Woman
6. Your Bright Baby Blues – Sean and Sara Watkins
7. Linda Paloma – Bruce Springsteen and Patti Scialfa
8. Call It A Loan – Shawn Colvin
9. I’m Alive – Bruce Hornsby
10. Late For The Sky – Joan Osborne
11. My Opening Farewell – JD Souther