M&M Nearly Takes Out Liam Gallagher
Little did the Beady Eye singer know that he suffered from an acute peanut allergy.
“I’ve done some stuff over the years but never, never did I think a f***ing blue M&M would be the thing that could have killed me,” exclaimed Liam Gallagher to The Sun.
Gallagher was celebrating his business partner’s new restaurant in Kings Road, England earlier this month when he nearly met his maker.
“I was bored and hungry, so it’s what you do, man. I’ve always liked M&Ms so I got into them. I had a blue one,” Gallagher recounted.
“My mouth started to swell up and I could feel it tightening my throat, man. I had to go to the docs and get it checked out straight away.”
It wasn’t until a second episode took place that the former Oasis singer was forced into carrying an emergency kit wherever he goes.
“It happened again a couple of weeks after and now I’ve got to carry a syringe about with me in case of emergencies. Proper Pete Doherty gear” (a reference to former Kate Moss boyfriend and Libertines co-frontman, famous in the U.K. for his drug addictions).
According to the Peanut Institute, about 0.6 – 1.0 % of the population have some degree of peanut allergy. Of the 3.3 million Americans with nut allergies, about 150 die from allergy-related causes each year, tells Harvard professor Dr. Nicholas Christakis to Time.
So when in doubt, opt for the plain M&M.